To properly view the application site, you must be using Internet Explorer
Software Engineer I - III (ID) NB52704922
Columbia, MD, US
***This position requires a Current TS/SCI Clearance with Polygraph***
This position is on a brand new contract working on an exciting project. A software engineer on this contract designs, develops, tests, deploys, documents, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems based upon documented requirements. These systems might include, but are not limited to, processing intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, business management information systems, and systems which incorporate data repositories, data transport services, and application and systems development and monitoring. Works individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports.
Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Open Source Software (OSS) and/or Commercial OffThe-Shelf (COTS) Government Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) software in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components. Experience developing in Unix. Ability to perform shell scripting. Working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) tools and Web Services implementation.
This specific task is asking for support in developing web-based applications that support collaboration efforts across the Agency. Expertise in all aspects of software development is essential. Ideally, the candidate would be a full stack web developer, with experience doing front-end and back-end development.
The following skills are needed:
• Demonstrated experience with PHP scripting language
• Demonstrated experience developing in a Linux environment
• Familiarity with MySQL (or other relational databases)
• Experience with object oriented programming (OOP)
• Experience with Node.js (or other front-end frameworks)
• Experience with Twitter’s Bootstrap library
• Experience with Model, View, Controller (MVC) architecture
• Strong Computer Science background
• Experience problem solving and breaking down complex problems
• Experience with recommendation algorithms (nice to have, not necessary)
• Able to work as a team member or independently
The following skills would be helpful, but not required:
• Experience with Docker
• Graphic Design experience
• Experience with the ELK Stack (ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kibana)
• Experience with MediaWiki
• Data Science experience
This position could be a level I, II or III depending on the years of experience and level of degree of the applicant. The higher the level, the higher the salary. A majority of the following capabilities must be met to qualify for any level. Experience and education minimums for each level are listed below as well.
Software Engineer (SWE) Level 1 shall possess the following capabilities:
• Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
• Debug existing software and correct defects.
• Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
• Write or review software and system documentation.
• Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
• Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
• Has experience with agile development processes.
• Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
• Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
• Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
• Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
• Familiarization with queue management systems
• Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
• Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
• Develop software solutions by analyzing system perfonnance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
• Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
• Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
• Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
• Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
• Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
• Software development using continuous integration practices
• Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
• Unix shell scripting
• Development of event driven or data driven analytics
Software Engineer (SWE) Level 2 shall possess the following capabilities:
• All the capabilities required for a SWE-1 plus those that follow
• Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
• Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
• Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
• Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
• Confer with system engineers and hardware· engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
• Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
Software Engineer (SWE) Level 3 shall possess the following capabilities:
• All the capabilities required for SWE-1, SWE-2, and those that follow
• Recommend new technologies and processes for complex software projects.
• Serve as the technical lead of multiple software development teams.
• Select the software development process in coordination with the customer and system engineering.
• Ensure quality control of all developed and modified software.
• Delegate programming and testing responsibilities to one or more teams and monitor their performance.
SWE-1 Qualifications: Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus two (2) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
Four (4) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
SWE-2 Qualifications: Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus three (3) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
Seven (7) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
SWE-3 Qualifications: Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus seven (7) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
Nine (9) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Clearance Level: TS/SCI
Employment Type Full time
Job ID 52704923
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc. Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S. federal civilian agencies, the intelligence community, the Government of Canada, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently, while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, Serco has approximately 6,000 employees with an annual revenue of $1 billion and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. At Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset, and our success directly relates to our employees. At Serco, we listen, respect and support our employees and through continuous training, development and information-sharing, we advance talent internally, enhancing career growth and progression which enables not only our employees to excel but enables our customers to excel as well. It is not just a job at Serco; at Serco, we offer career opportunities. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco's people share a passion for delivering ethical service, innovation, and a commitment to results. We trust our people to deliver. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
Functional AreaSystems Design & Engineering
DepartmentSerco’s Federal Services business unit provides services in the areas of business processing, case management, intelligence, logistics, personnel readiness, acquisition and program management, modelling, and simulation and training to Defense and Federal Civilian agencies. We understand the often complex regulatory and security requirements of executing government programs and we stand up programs quickly, assembling and training highly qualified teams, and delivering to well-defined service level metrics.
To properly view the application site, you must be using Internet Explorer