Full-TIme TMC Operator I- Austin, TX NC52578557Austin, TX, US
The TMC Operator position is the entry level position for TMC Operations. Operators must successfully complete the initial training program under the supervision of, and monitored by, the Training Supervisor and Operations Manager. They must then continue to perform acceptably as they acquire additional knowledge and skills through “on-the-job” training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to gain a working knowledge of the Lonestar Software, use of Windows-based applications, related systems, and use ITS software to control and monitor field devices such as CCTV cameras, DMS, traffic detectors, and any other technology related to devices that may be implemented as part of the ITS infrastructure.
• Ability to monitor video images for the detection and verification of crashes, debris, abandoned or disabled vehicles, and hazardous or non-hazardous spills.
• Ability to use ITS software to log potential and confirmed incidents, construction and maintenance closures.
• Ability to dispatch and communicate with Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) personnel via radio or telephone using standard protocol to the locations of road hazards and crashes, providing clear directions to the location and an accurate description of an incident as advised by citizens, public safety entities, or department personnel.
• Ability to provide information or assistance to motorists, TxDOT personnel, or other agencies on traffic and road conditions; direct calls to appropriate personnel in traffic operations or take action as necessary.
• Ability to use English language writing skills necessary to perform clear and concise record keeping, logging of required information, equipment checks, data gathering, and updating of manuals and contact lists that include all pertinent information without spelling or grammatical errors.
• Ability to clearly communicate technical information in layman’s terms.
• Be prepared to work additional hours or shifts in support of special events such as, but not limited to, Presidential visits, political rally’s, parades, Austin Triathlon, Marathon and Half Marathon (Feb), South by Southwest (Mar), Rodeo Austin (Mar), Austin Film Festival (May/Jun), Republic of Texas (ROT) Biker Rally (Jun), University of Texas home football games (Fall), Formula One races, and Austin City Limits (Sep/Oct).
• Ability and willingness to work alternate work, shift schedules, and be on-call 24 hours/day.
• Be fluent in English with the ability to receive, give and understand written and oral instructions. Note: Fluent Spanish with the ability to receive, give, and understand written and oral instructions is a preferred additional skill.
• Knowledge of communications and disseminating information via multiple communications devices.
• Perform all duties with the highest level of customer service.
Responsible for monitoring systems and dispatching appropriate resources to detected and/or reported incidents; including coordination of safety personnel and location assistance to first responders. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Works under general supervision.